Live from Northern Wisconsin

Wisconsin is all over the news because of our strife over the new governor's "Budget Repair Bill". As a child of the 60's I find it hopeful that people are passionately involved and taking a stand. I am hopeful that we can settle down and talk to each other. I think the protests were/are necessary to let this freshman leader know it is imperative to work with people rather than assume it is acceptable to proclaim directives without considering the impact. It is also important for the people protesting the new governor's tactics to respect those that agree with him. The brave souls who agree with Great Scott (a moniker coined by my son) and join the throngs who disagree should be treated with respect. I was very troubled when I read today about a young person who had come to support the Governor and was slapped and pushed by those with opposite views. I'll close with this thought:

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half the time.~ E. B. White (1899 - 1985), New Yorker, July 3, 1944

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive