What Do You Know About Autism?

(This is the first of a series of posts I am doing based on an Autism Spectrum Disorders course I took at UW-La Crosse.)
The first day, first session of class we discussed what we currently knew about Autism Spectrum Disorders. I learned lots of new acronyms! We covered diagnosis & screening, characteristics, approaches for treatment, causes, epidemiology, classifications, prognosis and the history of Autism. Since the course was about Autism it was only fitting that a mind map format was used to brainstorm the class's collective present knowledge. The class consisted of speech language therapists, teachers, para-educators, and parents. Some worked in a k-12 setting, several worked at Chileda, a residential and day school facility in La Crosse, and there were others who worked in a clinic. The map quickly filled the white board and by the end of the week it had doubled!

Here are my notes on the list we began with:


 I've embedded links to some of the information in the list. I'll be filling in and adding more information throughout this week. I will also being adding links to resources associated with information in my posts this summer.You can find them in the first section on the right side of this page.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Blog Archive